Background Questionnaire Instructional Guide
This document is written to help you complete your background questionnaire. It covers areas that are typically problem areas and answers most frequently asked questions. Practically every section on your background questionnaire has instructions, therefore if something is not covered in this document, FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS. Use black ink only, Do Not Use White-out, correct with only one line through error.
** Make sure that pages 1,2 & 3 are signed.
** All Dates MUST Include Month and Year, No Exceptions.
1. PERSONAL DATA - Page 4, Section 1
* Fifth line down, third block in, it asks for the Country you were born in, not county.
* Fifth line, fourth block in, Driver's License Number, you will need to put the license number and state it is issued from.
2. PREVIOUS ADDRESSES - Page 4, Section 2
* Do not put street addresses in this section, only list the information that is asked for; city, county, state, zip code, date to and from.
* Make sure that you have every month and year covered for the past five years, to at least the current month we are in now for that particular year.
* If additional space is needed, the last three pages of this questionnaire are labeled "Additional Comments." Put, "Continuation of Previous Address", and list all the same information there that is asked for in section 2.
3. INCARCERATED FAMILY MEMBERS OR FRIENDS - Page 4, section 4
* This section is pretty much self explanatory, readÂ the instructions.
4. FAMILY REFERENCES - Page 5, Section 4
* Not necessary to list street addresses
* IMMEDIATE FAMILY ONLY , brothers, sisters, (including step-family) father, mother, your children, spouse. NO AUNTS, NO UNCLES, NO GRANDPARENTS, NO COUSINS OR IN-LAWS.
* If a family member is deceased, list their name, their relationship to you and in the city column simply list them as deceased.
* If there is a family member whose whereabouts are unknown, list their name, relationship and in the city column put the last approximate date you had contact with that person.
* If additional space is needed, list all the same information that is asked for in this section on one of the last three pages of this questionnaire and label it, Continuation of Family References
5. PERSONAL REFERENCES - Page 5
* Make sure you have complete addresses (#,street, city, state, zip code) and at least one phone number.
* Include their occupation.
* Not former employers or relatives. (Can be a former co-worker)
6. EMPLOYMENT HISTORY - Page 6
* All employment and unemployment history for the past five years to at least the current month for that year.
* Make sure that every month and year is covered.
* Complete addresses (house #, street, city, state, zip codes, not cross streets)
* Phone numbers
* If a business is no longer in business, list the address where they were and in the phone number box put, "no longer in business." (Addresses can be obtained from old phone books, going by the address where they were, old W-2's, and sometimes they are still listed on the Internet.)
* If additional space is needed list all the same information asked for here on one of last three pages titled "Additional Comments"
6A. EMPLOYMENT HISTORY CONTINUED - Page 7
* Self explanatory, read instructions
No Section (7)
8. MILITARY STATUS - Page 7
* Every young man in the
* If you were in the Military, you are registered with Selective Service. Use your date of entry and the city and state of your induction.
* If you were born between
9. EDUCATION AND TRAINING - Page 7
* You must list wherever it was that you got your high school diploma or GED from
* Address at a minimum to be city, state and zip code.
* If you have attended college but do not have a degree, put the number of credit hours (approximate credits will be fine) in the "Diploma Received" box.
* If additional space is needed list all the same information in the "Additional Comments" section on the last three pages.
10. ORGANIZATIONAL MEMBERSHIP - Page 8
* List any organizations or parties you may belong to or are associated with (see list in instructions of that section) and an explanation as to why you are a member or associated with. List Tattoo's and Identifying Marks.
11. CRIMINAL HISTORY - Page 8
* Do not list traffic citations in this section unless it was a criminal offense
* List All criminal history you may have had (see instructions for that section to know what they are looking for) including juvenile offenses.
* Dates must include a month and year. If you are not sure, you may approximate, it will not be held against you.
* "Disposition", this is how was that charge or fine was disposed of; paid fine, charges dropped, paid restitution, went to diversion classes, etc.
* "Law Enforcement Agency/Court" this is whoever arrested, cited or fined you.
* Make sure to include the City, County and State
* Check the section on Domestic Violence.
* Honesty, honesty, honesty
12. DRIVING HISTORY - Page 8
* Any and all tickets or violations you may have had. List all that you can recall, you do not have to purchase a DMV report.
* "Date" Month and year that you got the ticket or citation. Approximate if necessary.
* "Disposition," this is how that charge or fine was taken care of; Paid fine, charges dropped, went to defensive driving class, etc.
* "Law Enforcement Agency/Court," this is whoever cited you. e.g. Phoenix PD, DPS, Glendale PD, etc.
* If it didn't happen in the city, put N/A
* County where it happened (can be found on map or Internet)
13. ILLEGAL SUBSTANCES- page 8
* HONESTY, HONESTY, HONESTY ( NO
* You must put the approximate number of times used, approximate date (year/years) and age that you used.
Internet Web Sites for Background Questionnaire
To find addresses and phone numbers for businesses:
To find persons name and address:
To find a county when you know a city and state:
If this does not bring you directly to the web-site, then
click on NACO on search page. At top of next web page point to "About
Counties" and a drop down menu will appear, click on "Find a
county". On the next page you will have a map of the
To find out when you registered with Selective Service or to register:
Click on Selective Service System: Register on line. When web site appears click on history/records. Next click on Records. The next page will ask what period year you were born in, click on which ever period applies. Input information on next page.
To get birth certificate:
To find zip codes for known addresses:
To find employment history: